Thursday, March 17, 2011

the choice

So yesterday I had the privilege of attending a talk by Ramesh Muthusamy, an NLP expert from the Adam Khoo group. While the main focus of the talk was on creativity (yes, one can actually follow steps to become creative! yay me!) Ramesh also talked about how stifling the Singapore education system is and how it nurtures us to be nothing more than just clones of each other. It simply teaches you how to show that you have substance without actually inculcating that very substance in you. Besides that, he also talked about having the courage to pursue your dreams - no matter how big or small, because then, and only then, can you say that you have led a meaningful and worthwhile life.

And so it got me thinking: have I really explored other options besides medicine? 

Well the answer is a loud resounding NO. I haven't. All my life I've been told over and over and over again that I 'want' to be a doctor because (insert all the benefits of being one), and although I do know for a fact now that I want to pursue a medical career, the fact of the matter is that I haven't properly weighed medicine against anything else. 

I remember wanting to be many things when I was younger. Policeman. Astronaut. Rock star. Professional football player. (notice how the big D isn't one of them)

So really, where has that cheney gone to? Has he really disappeared or was he merely, over time, pushed into the backseat by my subservience to my parents and my reluctance to 'go my own way?'

I don't want to take the chance and jump into something that may not be my calling, but I guess I don't really have a choice, do I?

Especially since so many sacrifices have been made to get me to where I 'want' to be.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger My name is Michele, said...

you write well. keep your chin up, I love you.

March 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home